Sienho Yee (www.sienhoyee.org)
Select Outside Lectures, Presentations and Remarks on international law topics (given in English unless otherwise noted):
(53) Xiamen University Institute on South China Sea Studies (International Symposium on New Developments in the Law of the Sea), presentation on “The Sponsoring States advisory opinion and applicable law in the ITLOS” (24 April 2014).
(52) Rhodes Forum “Dialogue of Civilizations”, plenary session presentation on “competition between and among intrinsic and instrumental values in competing visions of the world” (5 October 2013).
(50) China Institute on Maritime Affairs conference on South China Sea, presentation on dispute settlement under UNCLOS (July 2013).
(49) ICRC Regional Workshop, presentation on universal jurisdiction and chairing of a workshop on the same topic (June 2013), Beijing.
(48) American Society of International Law, 2013 Annual Meeting, Panel on “Domestic Treatment of Universal Jurisdiction”, presentation titled “A Call for a More Rigorous Assessment of Universal Jurisdiction” (5 April 2013), Washington, DC.
(47) Shanghai Jiaotong University Law School 10th Anniversary Lecture Series, The operation of some arguments by analogy in international law (30 November 2012).
(46) ICRC Expert Consultation on Universal Jurisdiction, presentation and chairing of a workshop (November 2012).
(45) Rhodes Forum “Dialogue of Civilizations” (4 October 2012), first plenary session, presentation titled “The International Law of Co-progressiveness and the Co-progressiveness of Civilizations”.
(44) ILA Study Group on UN Reform, ILC Sofia Conference, Presentation of the Final Report on ICJ Reform (28 August 2012); and also Committee on Baselines.
(43) The Hague Academy of International Law, special course titled “Jus cogens at the International Court of Justice” (July 2012).
(42) Oxford Public International Law Discussion Group, presentation titled “The Presidency of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea and the ‘National State Extension’ Concern” (17 November 2011).
(40) Plenary Speaker, presentation titled “Asia and International Law: a New Era of Co-progressiveness”, Asian Society of International Law Biannual Conference, Beijing (27 August 2011).
(39) Singapore National University Centre for International Law Conference: panel presentation titled Joint Development Arrangements between China and Vietnam and between China and Japan; and Plenary Panel on “The Way Forward” (17 June 2011).
(38) International Conference on Maritime Security (Korea Maritime Institute, Korea Coast Guard, KORDI, Northeast History Foundation), presentation titled “The ICJ Judgment in Maritime Delimitation in the Black Sea” (26 May 2011).
(37) Macau Government, Bureau of Law Reform and International Law, 2 lectures (April 2011).
(36) Macau University, Lecture on “The International Law Mindset” (April 2011).
(35) Hong Kong University, Lecture on State Immunities and the Congo Case (March 2011).
(34) German Southeast Asian Center for Excellence for Public Policy and Good Governance (22-23 January 2011), on “ambiguous defenses” under the Rome Statute of the ICC.
(33) Korea International Seminar on International Dispute Settlement, presentation titled “Preparatory Work in the LaGrand case” (September 2010).
(32) The ILA, The Hague Conference, Preliminary Report on ICJ Reform Proposals, before the Study Group on UN Reform (August 2010).
(31) The Hague Week at the Dutch Pavilion at the Shanghai World Expo: Keynote Speech (June 2010), sustainable development and China.
(30) Hong Kong Department of Justice (International Law Division) (2010: 3 lectures).
(29) UN/Chinese Foreign Ministry Workshop on the Law of Treaties (2009: 2 lectures) on member responsibility and dynamic interpretation of vague phrases in treaties.
(28) The Hague Academy of International External Programme, Beijing (2009) on the law and policy of the environmental impact statement.
(24) Asian Society of International Law, Tokyo Conference (August 2009), as commentator at the plenary on the promotion of the international law of co-progressiveness.
(18) Romanian Foreign Ministry and Bucharest University (March 2008) on member responsibility and the “multilateralness” of the ICC.
(15) Innsbruck University Institute of Philosophy (2007), on the international law of co-progressiveness.
(14) Renmin University (June 2007), on “member responsibility” (in Chinese mostly).
(13) United Nations Administrative Tribunal Seminar: concluding remarks (2007).
(12) Rockefeller Bellagio Center, Italy (2006), on ICC.
(11) United Nations Institute for Training and Research Summer Institute (2005), as commentator, “softer measures for peace”.
(10) New York University Law School Hauser Scholars Group (April 2005).
(8) United Nations University Conference (2003), on regional perspectives and regional mechanisms on enforcement of human rights law.
(7) Japanese Society of International Law, International Symposium (2003), on concept of human rights in Asia.
(6) Conference in celebration of the 300th anniversary of the founding of St Petersburg, Russia, organized by the Law Faculty of the St Petersburg State University and the Russian Association of International Law (June 2003), on forum prorogatum (Forum prorogatum returns to the International Court of Justice).
(5) Waseda University Graduate School of Law, Tokyo (2001) on Article 16 of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court.
(4) Peking University Law School, Beijing (100th anniversary of the founding celebration, 2004 (in Chinese); previously 2001), on the perfect rule of law.
(2) Oxford Public International Law Group (2000 (at the Old Library, All Souls College) on Opinio juris; and Nov. 1999, on judicial review of UNSC decisions).
(1) Cambridge University at an LLM seminar (by Dr. C.D. Gray) (1998), on the ICTY.